Gas Grill Safety Tips | How To Use Your Gas BBQ Safely

Did you know that you can easily ruin your gas grill with your own hands and cause an explosion?

I have interviewed several safety experts who named 12 common mistakes that can render your gas grill unusable and even life-threatening.

Many grillmasters ignore the dangers of the gas grill and make many mistakes when using it, risking not only the performance of the grill itself but also the safety of everyone in the vicinity.

It is better to treat the grill like a gas stove and take the necessary precautions.

Please keep reading to learn about the most common mistakes and their solutions.

gas grill engulfed in flames

1. Using Grease Removers

Grease removers can damage the grill body and burners. Grill burners are made of copper tubes. The grease removal chemicals penetrate inside and cause holes in the hoses. A cooled gas hose is no longer sealed, which can lead to gas leaks and a powerful explosion.

Fat removal agents are also harmful to other parts of the gas grill, especially the housing and burners. In addition, the gas pressure in the other burners increases due to the clogged burner and the food is not evenly cooked.

The solution: you should clean the gas grill with water and dishwashing liquid. This should be done immediately after use, even before it has cooled down completely. Do not use tools that can damage the grill cover (abrasive brush, spatulas, sharp objects in general). Do not use strong detergents to clean the griddles – they can seep into the grill and damage it from inside.

2. Storing The Gas Hose In The Sunlight

Worn out gas hose or loose connector may cause a gas explosion.

The Solution: every 5 years invite a certified gas technician or gas company representative to check if your home gas system is working properly and the connection to the gas grill in your yard or balcony works as intended.

Many experts insist that the grill should be checked even more frequently as it is outside the house and is exposed to harmful weather factors.

The gas hose should be replaced every 2 years. For safety reasons make sure it is not longer than 10 feet to minimize the length of the part that sits outside the house. Before each use check if the hose has been properly tightened to prevent the risk of gas leakage.

When the grill is not in use, the hose should be stored in conditions that will ensure its durability. Probably indoors. To do this, simply detach the hose tip from the quick disconnect valve and place the hose under the grill tarp.

3. Leaving The Grill Unattended When Heating Up

If the temperature inside a closed gas grill reaches 700-1000 degrees Fahrenheit, the entire grill can catch fire. A single spark is enough to ignite the fat residue inside the grill.

The Solution: Watch the thermometer and start roasting when the temperature reaches 450 degrees. It is advised not to leave the grill unattended at all.

4. Covering The Fat Drain Holes

The grill has a special tilted tray – it collects the fat flowing off the grill and drains it into the drain holes. Closing these openings with foil creates a grease pool at the bottom of the grill bowl that can catch fire.

The Solution: Do not use any material that will interfere with the normal grease draining from the grill. When the cooking is done for the day, you can easily clean the grill even before it has cooled down completely. It will not take much effort.

5. Closing The Lid And Leaving It Unattended

Very high temperatures under the lid of the grill can cause it to ignite.

The solution: switch on the grill with the lid closed and do not go away from the grill. In any case, most meals do not require more than five minutes of cooking time even using small BBQ like Weber Q1000.

6. Using Ignition When The Battery Is Low

When the battery is discharged, the ignition button no longer works. In this situation, many people keep pushing the button until it breaks because it is not designed to be pressed for long periods.

The solution: Ensure that the battery is replaced on time – at least once a year. If the button does not work with the first or second press, there is no need to apply force. Simply replace the battery with the fresh one.

7. Putting Sand In The Fat Tray

The sand put into the fat tray may soak up the fat, but it will not let it out, as well as clog the drain holes. All this could cause the grill to ignite.

The Solution: Do not pour sand into the tray – this will allow the grease to flow down into the recesses of the drain holes.

8. Cleaning The Grill With Abrasive Tool

The resulting scratches damage the protective layer of the grill and over time it will rust. Fat also accumulates in the gaps between the scratches, which can also cause ignition.

The Solution: Clean the grill housing while it is hot – gently and without using coarse materials such as a metal sponge or spatula. Use a damp cloth or soft sponge and dip it in some dishwashing liquid solution.

9. Not Seasoning The Griddle

If used correctly, the grill grate is designed for 2-4 years of use. Lack of proper care leads to rust formation. Any contact between rust and foodstuffs is very harmful to your health.

The Solution: immediately after use, clean the grate and season it with vegetable oil. This creates an insulating layer between the steel and air, reducing the likelihood of rusting when in contact with water or damp air. It is important to close the grill after use so that no dust or dirt accumulates on the grill.

10. Installing The Grill Yourself

You should keep in mind that connecting the gas grill is as dangerous as connecting a gas stove. Especially if you are dealing with your home natural gas supply.

Instead of calling the technician, many decide to do it on their own. However, a non-professional connection leads to incorrect installation of the regulator (or the use of a low-quality regulator). The result is a yellow flame that burns the meat instead of frying it. In addition, a careless connection is very dangerous and can lead to gas leaks and explosions.

The solution: always call in a certified gas technician to properly connect the gas hose and regulator and perform all necessary checks. Often installation can be ordered online when you purchase the grill.

If an orange flame appears right after the connection, this shows that the regulator is of poor quality or not installed correctly. In this situation, the technician must correct the fault or call in another expert.

11. Letting Debris To Clog The Drains

Leftovers of food, pieces of wooden skewers for meat, garbage or pieces of plastic bags can clog grease drainage holes. The debris in the grill box and accumulation of grease on the grill body can cause a fire.

The solution: make sure you often clean the grill. Some grill models make it easy to pull out the cleaning tray, but sometimes you have to remove grill grates and burner heads.

12. Trying To Clean Clogged Burner

Under no circumstances should the needle be used. The needle can damage the burner, widen the hole and cause a gas leak. Only a certified technician knows how to correct such a malfunction. In some cases, the burner should be replaced in order to ensure that the grill is working properly and safely.

The solution is to call in a professional technician and, if necessary, replace clogged burners if they cannot be cleaned.

Related Articles

2 thoughts on “Gas Grill Safety Tips | How To Use Your Gas BBQ Safely

  1. Thomas Clarence

    Next week, I am planning on going to the store so that I can purchase myself a new gas grill to use for cooking. It was helpful when you explained that it is best to clean the housing of the grill while it is hot. I don’t want grease and other food debris to build up on it, so this tip you shared will be very helpful to me.

    Reply
    1. James Post author

      I am glad I could help! Please let me know how it goes with your new grill!

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *