We all love our grills and most of us have this appliance in our homes. That is why it is essential to learn how to clean a grill cover. A grill comes in handy when you want to do some grilling outdoors.
Storing your grill in your backyard or anywhere outdoors exposes it to damage because of the weather elements. That is why most people invest in grill covers. The cover helps to protect your grill and extends its life span.
The covers will at some point get dirty since they are exposed to dirt, dust, and elements. This is where the challenge comes in if you do not know how to clean them.
Please keep reading if you are looking for information about washing your grill covers. Below you will learn about several ways you can go about cleaning your pricey Weber Genesis grill cover.
Table of Contents
Cleaning Your Grill Cover
There is no specific schedule for washing grill covers and also outdoor furniture covers.
You can clean it every time you remove the grill cover or you can do it as needed.
Important: remove bird droppings as soon as you notice them because they can damage the material.
After every use
Spot cleaning works well when cleaning your cover after use.
You’ll need some warm water, a mild degreaser, dish soap and something to use for wiping the cover, a piece of cloth or paper towels will do.
- Remove large food particles from the grill cover.
- Remove the dust and dirt from the cover using warm soapy water (dishwasher liquid works just fine) and a soft piece of cloth or sponge.
- Use a hose to rinse the soapy water.
- Let the grill cover dry before putting it on the grill again.
It is vital to make sure the cover is completely dry before using it to cover the grill to prevent transferring moisture to the grill. Moisture can cause your grill to rust.
Every now and then
Occasionally cleaning your grill cover is an effective way of keeping your cover in good condition.
- The first thing you should do is get rid of any debris or food particles that might be on the cover.
- Use a sponge to transfer the detergent to the grill cover.
- Give the cleaner some time to be absorbed into the fabric.
- Identify areas with stains and use a sponge and brush with soft bristles to remove the stains. Bear in mind that these cleaning tools should be non-abrasive.
- After the cleaning agent has worked its magic, rinse it off by splashing a bucket of water on it or by using a garden hose.
- Put your grill cover in the sun to dry.
- If there are some stains that are still left on the cover then you can repeat the entire process.
When doing the cleaning, do not leave the cleaner on the cover for too long because it will dry on the material. Also, when rinsing, make sure you remove all the cleaner.
Cleaning Different Types of Covers
There is a variety of materials used to make grill covers. Examples of these cover materials include canvas, polyester, and vinyl.
Although these materials are different, you can use the same cleaning methods for all of them. Washing Weber grill covers, Kingkong covers, and other covers is no different.
There are, however, a few variations that you need to take note of.
- You should use the minimum amount of water when cleaning light vinyl grill covers because water can make the material to crack. The good news is that the heavy-duty vinyl material is waterproof.
- Some linings of grill covers (like the fleece linings) are more likely to get mold and mildew compared to others. Therefore, covers with these kinds of linings should be exposed to sunlight for a longer time to ensure they are completely dry. Linings made of wood attract insects and various types of bugs.
- Covers made of polyester (Weber Q grill cover, for example) take a shorter time to dry compared to other covers. Therefore, you remove them from the line after a short while.
Related Reading: How To Make A Grill Cover Out Of A Tarp
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I put my grill cover in the washing machine?
A: No, absolutely not. You should not put your grill cover in the washing machine because it will get damaged.
Q: How do I clean the inside of my grill cover?
A: Clean it the same way you clean the outside, with a hose, sponge, and soapy water and hang it in the sun. If you notice some moisture in your cover then you can dry it using a towel.
Q: How do I clean a moldy grill cover?
A: You should not use harsh chemicals on your cover. White vinegar will help to get rid of mold and mildew. Below you will steps how to clean mold off grill cover.
- Pour the undiluted vinegar onto a spray bottle and spray it directly onto the sections of the cover that are invaded by molds.
- Allow the vinegar to settle into the material for about an hour.
- After that, clean the cover using soapy water and a soft brush in case you want to get rid of other residues that may be on the cover.
- If there are still some molds left on the grill cover, you can spray them with the white vinegar again.
- You may notice some black or greenish stains on the cover after getting rid of molds, wash them with soapy water.
- Finally, get some running water and use it to rinse the grill cover. Hang the cover in the sun and let it completely dry before using it.
Related Reading: How To Keep Grill Cover From Blowing Away
With the information provided here, you will never have to wonder about how to clean the grill cover again. A grill is an investment. If you don’t take care of it, your money will go down the drain.
Some people have their grills permanently outdoors because they cannot carry them indoors every time they are done using it. This is where covers come in.
When your grill is outside, it is exposed to dust, dirt, stains, and various unwanted elements. Therefore, it is prone to faster damage. However, when you put a cover on it, the grill is protected and it will serve you for an extended period.
The fact that the covers also outside mean that they will get dirty. That is why you need to clean them.
Remember that a dirty cover will make your grill dirty and that is unhygienic since it is where you prepare your food. Happy grill cover cleaning!